News Posted in Football, Sport.

Murfin at double in Lions’ cup win

Scott Murfin bagged a brace as Pagham won 3-0 at Arundel on Tuesday night in the RUR Charity Cup second round.


Striker Murfin struck on 23 minutes and two minutes later Johan Van Driel doubled the Lions’ lead. Then Murfin pounced for a third just before the break. Pagham now look to tomorrow’s FA Vase second round clash against Horsham YMCA at Nyetimber Lane. It comes after they gained ground on second-placed Haywards Heath Town with a 1-0 against them with a Jordan Clark goal last Saturday.


The Lions now sit 18 points, the same total as the high-flying visitors although Mark Bennett’s side have a game in hand. Chichester City suffered a 4-0 reverse in the RUR Charity Cup second round at Little Common on Tuesday.


It was a night to forget for Miles Rutherford and his men and they now turn their attention to a game at home against Sheppey in the FA Vase tomorrow. It comes a week after Josh Clack, right, grabbed the only goal of the game in a 1-0 SCFL Premier Division win at Hassocks. And the three points on the road at The Beacon for Rutherford’s outfit mean they stay in touching distance of the pack in fifth spot in the league table. Clack struck on 11 minutes to settle the affair early on. Selsey, who got a point with a 1-1 draw at Langney Wanderers in SCFL division one on Saturday, travel to Horley Town for a tough test in the FA Vase second round. Bosham are table-toppers in SCFL second division by four points after six games.


The Robins won at Walton Lane with a 3-1 triumph over Westfield. Graeme Dowden made it 1-0 on 35 minutes and the other two goals through Bradley Miles and Marco Giambelardini came in the last five minutes. They look to maintain their advantage at the top tomorrow with a trip to play Worthing Town Leisure. Sidlesham chalked up a 3-2 victory over Cowfold at the Rec with goals from Callum Dowdell (03), John Phillips (60), and Thomas Bayley (65). Sids go to Alfold for a league encounter tomorrow. Nyetimber Pirates’ impressive start to the season continued this weekend with both sides extending their 100 per cent record in the West Sussex Football League, writes CHARLIE WELLING.


Ted Griffin’s first team made it three wins from three overcoming rivals Newtown Villa 3-2 at Jubilee. The Looters struck first through Michael Frangou’s penalty after just two minutes when Scott Towers was tripped. Then Sean Williamson clipped Sam Dallaway giving ref Mike Neary no option and Dave Speller made it 1-1 from the spot. An own goal by former Pirate Doug Peach made it 2-1 just after the break and then Andy Cox made it 3-1. RJ Hampton pulled one back when he bizarrely took the ball off Pirates Warren Pye and poked into an empty net. Jamie Walters’ reserve side’s 2-0 win over Yapton Reserves sent them to the top of Division 3 south.


Goals from James Gilchrist and Alex Jasper were enough to secure the win which also saw the debut of former Predator Nathan Stonelake. Next week the first team go to Ashington Rovers in the cup whilst the reserves host West Chiltington at West Meads. Elsewhere in the WSFL Predators, who recently folded their reserves, secured a 2-2 draw with league leaders Wisborough Green. In the Championship Newtown Villa reserves lost 7-1 to Angmering Seniors, whilst Sidlesham Reseves beat Stedham 2-0.


The Unicorn ran out 2-0 winners over Angmering at Decoy Drive in Division 2 putting them top of the table. Division 3 saw a 1-1 draw for Felpham Colts and a 2-1 win for newly promoted Elmer. Ambassadors’ miserable start to their Division 4 campaign continued losing 3-1 to Tangmere. The Trojans beat Watersfield 4-1, whilst their reserves could only scrape a 1-1 draw with Whkye Utd Reserves.

Posted in Football, Sport.