News Posted in Football, Sport.

Nyecamp News with Liam Goodley

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and I wish all the best for the New Year to all readers.


I just hope that at the turn of the year, my team will continue to perform as well as before the end of 2016!


On our way to Folkestone Invicta on the fans coach, it was widely agreed that people would take a point from this match.


It looked as though we wouldn’t even get a draw at half time. The team was 1-0 down with no light at the end of the tunnel in sight but in football you just never know.


How we were wrong! It was truly a game of two halves!


The team showed terrific character to come back into the game. As it turns out all of the other five top teams won that day so the win turned out to be more crucial than first expected.


On the other hand it was typical that they all won after such a performance as that but it shows the competitiveness the league has this season.


On the way home, and with those three points in the bag, discussion turned to the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup game the following Tuesday.


Rocks were home to Horsham in the 3rd Round and expected to win. I was glad to see Gary Charman return to playing. He only featured in the first half but it was a positive sign. It was also a chance to rest some players and the management team took full advantage of this.


The win means Bognor  take on Shoreham away in the Quarter Finals of the cup, which will be not be an easy game. Shoreham are flying in their league at the moment so it could be a potential banana skin. With some big clubs still involved its sure to be a tough Semi-Final for the winner.


But the one we’d all been waiting for finally arrived on Boxing Day. Rocks welcomed Havant & Waterlooville to Nyewood Lane for this highly anticipated fixture. The Hawks were doing well leading up to this game with ex-Rocks Alfie Rutherford and Jason Prior, as expected scoring regularly for the visitors before making the trip to Bognor.


They were listed as starting in the game against us. No surprise there.


As most predicted it was a very equal match with Bognor going behind on 42 minutes just as I was expressing it would be nice to go in 0-0 at the break to my colleagues in the press box.


Ryan Woodford put the visitors in the lead. But Bognor came out stronger in the second half and equalised on 62 minutes with Ed Sanders again on the scoresheet.


The action was good and with a crowd of 1,348 it was a great atmosphere. I think the important thing now is getting results elsewhere during the rest of the year and that will prove to be the difference as to whether we will be in the top five or not.


I shall look forward to the return tie at West Leigh Park in April though – I still think we have a good chance of beating them at their place.


Stand out players over the past two weeks have to be Ollie Pearce and Ed Sanders.  Both have really been on form recently and long may this continue.


Defensively Sanders does so much for the team, whilst its also good he is chipping in with goals as well. Pearce is doing really well too and was our main threat throughout our game at home to Havant.  As long as he avoids injury i am sure he will bag some more goals.


Don’t forget the earlier kick offs at Metropolitan Police’s Imber Court ground on New Year’s Eve and also the ‘El-Classicoast’ against Worthing’s Woodside Road on Monday 2nd January – both kicking off at 1pm.


I’ll see you on the coach to Met Police and I’ll make my way to Rebel country too!  Can’t wait!



Posted in Football, Sport.