News Posted in Sport.

Pearce asks fans for six weeks as Rocks’ struggles continue

Bognor boss Jack Pearce has asked fans for patience as he looks to steer the Rocks out of trouble.

 

Two defeats in the space of four days means that the Nye Camp faithful have gone more than a month since they last witnessed a victory.

 

That slump in form – a winless streak that now stretches to seven matches – has seen Bognor drop from fifth place in National League South to 18th, two points and two places above the relegation zone.

 

With Weston-Super-Mare, a side just one place above Bognor in the division, visiting Nyewood Lane tomorrow in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup, there is a belief that Bognor could end the streak in front of a home crowd.

 

But, regardless of the result, there will still be a small section of Rocks supporters who will question if Pearce, 68, made the right decision this summer in returning to the dugout after ten years as general manager.

 

Speaking to fans at a supporters club forum last week, the club stalwart was open and honest with the 30 or so fans that filled Seasons about the current situation.

 

He made clear that he would re-assess the situation in six weeks time.

 

He said: “No one hurts more than me if things don’t work.”

 

Pearce’s comments came just a day after the Rocks suffered a fourth defeat in five matches, a 3-0 reverse at Wealdstone.

 

That was followed up by a 3-1 defeat at Hemel Hempstead on Tuesday, a match in which Bognor had chances but could not find that killer instinct.

 

It is an area where Pearce knows he must strengthen to get better results.

 

Before Tuesday night’s trip to Hemel, the Rocks had just scored once in five matches – a Jimmy Muitt strike in the 2-1 loss to Hungerford Town.

 

Muitt doubled that tally in midweek in Hertfordshire. But it was not enough for Bognor to stop the rot.

 

Speaking to the Post, Pearce said: “At this moment I time do not have strong enough squad to stay very competitive when we have injuries.

 

“It may not be what fans want to hear but we unfortunately are not in a hotbed of players.

 

“You just have to look around and see how the clubs around us are performing – Worthing, Whitehawk and Gosport are all struggling in their leagues so there clearly is not the talent around locally to bring in good-enough players who can fit into our budget.

 

“You have to remember too that Havant two years ago had double our wage bill and they got relegated from this level. My eyes are not closed to that so we will work as hard as can to make sure we attract the right type of player.”

Posted in Sport.