DOORS on proposed toilets on Bognor Regis seafront have been turned around.
The entrance and exit to the loos will face on to the promenade instead of northwards to the Esplanade Grande flats opposite. The change was disclosed by Arun District Council’s group head of economy, Denise Vine, to councillors on Monday.
“Based on what some of the members would wish to see, we have adjusted the plans, putting the doors on the other side,” she told the council’s Bognor Regis regeneration sub-committee.
She said a barrier would have to be placed in front of the loos to stop people leaving them stepping into the path of the passing seafront land train or cyclists. But the building’s overall design was unaltered.
“Three will be three urinals and four cubicles which can be used by men or women, so they are unisex, but not at the same time,” she said.
The latest plans are due to be formally submitted for consideration soon.
But she warned any delay in allowing the sub-committee to look at the proposals before they were formally submitted could see the loos delayed until the summer of 2019.
The siting of the toilets was included in the seafront strategy approved in June last year.
As reported, the initial proposals were put on hold last month by Arun’s development control committee because of concerns from councillors and seafront residents.
Regeneration sub-committee member Cllr Ricky Bower (C, East Preston) said he would like councillors to be given the chance to discuss the principle of the toilets.
“The development control committee is limited to debating matters of planning policy. We can’t discuss the principle of the toilets,” he said.
Cllr Paul Wells (LD, Hotham) said: “The plans should be brought to use before they go to the development control committee. There is a level of concern and that’s the way forward.”
But Cllr Trevor Bence (C, Aldwick E) said the council should get on with the work. “We have been talking about toilets for the last 40 years,” he said.