POTENTIAL developers of key Bognor Regis sites have been told its landowner is unwilling to make any commitments about them until 2018.
Arun District Council has reaffirmed its previous stance last March of refusing to make any binding decisions for the Regis Centre and Hothamton locations as their owner for schemes which contradicted its preferred use of them. This view will be re-considered in 18 months.
Both areas are the subject of the Sir Richard Hotham Project £80m regeneration scheme, which will be the subject of a public inquiry on February 20 after Arun refused planning permission for them. But the council has a separate role in the approval process as their owner.
Cllr Gillian Brown, Arun’s leader, told last week’s full council meeting: “It’s important the council updates its position as landowner in relation to council-owned sites that might be included in any third party development.”
The council’s masterplan for the sites foresees a winter garden for the Regis Centre and a linear park for Hothamton. Backing for the park’s initial plans was given by councillors last week.