TOWN councillors want to halt the demolition of two prominent buildings in Bognor Regis.
They have agreed to request Arun District Council to reverse its decision to allow 2-4 Waterloo Square to be pulled to the ground. They wanted further answers to their concerns about the buildings’ condition.
As reported, Arun has issued a demolition order on the properties because of a set of hazards.
But Cllr Jeanette Warr (LD, Hotham), who chaired an extraordinary meeting of the town council’s policy and resources committee on Monday, said she was unhappy with the order.
She had been told by Arun its surveyor stood outside the buildings and relied on the report by the owner’s surveyor on their internal condition.
“We want an independent surveyor appointed before any decision can be made about these buildings and their future,” she said.
Cllr Jan Cosgrove (L, Orchard) said it was important to know the full details of the buildings’ ownership.
“I understand from reading the paperwork that what Arun are saying is that they own the freehold of the land but that the building is owned by the leaseholder. That is a very unusual situation and I would want some absolute proof of that,” he said.
He said he was also concerned the demolition order had over-ridden a planning application by property developer B5 Ltd for the demolition which would have been decided by Arun’s councillors.
Cllr Steve Goodheart (I, Hotham) called for details of all Arun’s freehold land in Bognor Regis to be requested.