News Posted in Sport.

Rocks end 32 year wait for the Senior Cup

Rocks boss Jack Pearce has insisted his future as manager is in the hands of his players after the club lifted the Sussex Senior Cup for the first time in more than 30 years.


Bognor managed to edge out Burgess Hill 2-1 as Doug Tuck coolly slotted home in extra time to seal the win in front of a crowd of more than 1,200 at The Amex.


After a difficult season which saw Rocks fall from playoff contention to finish 14th in the Bostik Premier, lifting some silverware brought some smiles to everyone involved in the club.


While Pearce dedicated the win to supporters, he admitted that thoughts were already turning to the next campaign.


With a season of rebuilding ahead, the veteran manager said he was looking forward to working with first team coach Robbie Blake to rebuild the squad.


Pearce said: “The most important thing to me is listening to the players.


“The response from them on Tuesday was magnificent and I will wait and see what it’s like with the ones we keep and the players we sign, they will decide my fate [as manager].”


With injuries forever an issue this campaign, Pearce was forced to field an inexperienced side for the cup final.


Jimmy Wild gave the Rocks an early lead before the Hillains equalised before the break.


It remained this way until extra time when Tuck came off the bench to coolly slot home.


Pearce said: “Our form in the last month of the season has been relegation form so to get the effort was absolutely magnificent.


“In the first 20 minutes we played football as good as any this year creating three or four which we should have taken.


“I’m delighted for the players and the fans who have shown to be true supporters of this club.”


For Pearce, too, it brought back memories of 1987 when he was in charge for the Rocks’ last triumph in this competition.


He said: “It is 32 years since we last won it – I have done my stint and it is still a lovely feeling but I am so pleased for Robbie and Neil, the backroom staff and the players – I can’t say how hard they have all worked.”


Rocks will now have six weeks off before returning to pre-season at the end of June.


The first friendly of the new year has been confirmed with National South side Havant & Waterlooville visiting Nyewood Lane on July 10 (7.45pm).

Posted in Sport.