News Posted in Local Developments, News.

Pavilion Park is due to be dropped by district council

Major doubts surround the future of a multi-million pound regeneration scheme in Bognor Regis.

 

It is likely the Pavilion Park proposals will be scrapped by Arun Distict Council.

 

News of the development emerged yesterday when a consultation into the previously backed plans was due to begin.

 

The consultation was scrapped by Arun soon after it had been announced.

 

Arun’s deputy leader, Cllr Francis Oppler (Orchard), said he and the council’s other senior members met with some of their officers this week to discuss the scheme for the Hothamton site.

 

“I can confirm the cabinet had a briefing from our officers and we are in the process of discussing options with them.

 

“We have not come to a conclusion at the moment. We should do that very soon,” he said. “But, when we do, we will aim to deliver a project that local residents are happy with.”

 

As reported, the controversial scheme was in doubt from the moment the Liberal Democrats became the largest party on Arun in last month’s elections.

 

Their councillors in Bognor Regis were among the biggest critics of the scheme compiled by the previous ruling Conservative party.

 

Several of the eight Independent members elected at the polls had also previously attacked the £4m proposals.

 

Among them was Cllr Hugh Coster (Aldwick E). He said: “There was a significant meeting on Wednesday.

 

“As a result of this, I believe there will be significant changes to the issue of the Pavilion Park.”

 

The Pavilion Park proposal attracted controversy for encompassing the car park off Queensway, the adjoining children’s play area and the Sunken Garden. It could also have included the town’s health centre.

 

In their place would have been a water play feature, a performance area to host events, a creative play area and a cafe, along with green lawns, vibrant planting and car parking.

 

However, the number of parking spaces would have been cut from the current 215. Two blocks of flats were also envisaged, with a potential shop and health centre on their ground floors.

 

The consultation was set to take place in High Street yesterday morning and Bognor Regis Methodist Church in the evening.

 

A further three sessions were also due to be held in Hotham Park, the Alexandra Theatre and a return to High Street.

 

The consultation was also intended to be available online between last Saturday and June 21.

 

On view would have been the latest designs by the council’s environmental consultants, LUC, who were hired to deliver a modern multi-use park in the heart of the town.

 

But the page on Arun’s website merely states: “Due to unforeseen circumstances, the planned consultation for the Pavilion Park, Bognor Regis, has been postponed.”

Posted in Local Developments, News.