News Posted in Sport.

Hardwell gets off to winning start

Pagham boss Kerry Hardwell’s reign got off to a winning start as they picked up only their second league win of the season.


Goals from Conor Geoghegan, Joe Clarke and Lewis Jenkins saw them to a 3-1 victory over visitors Broadbridge Heath.


The Lions could even afford to miss a penalty through Lindon Miller en route to a welcome Southern Combination League premier division three points.


Geoghegan powered home a Toby Funnell corner but Miller, who was brought down, missed the resultant spot-kick before half-time.


It looked costly when Heath replied straight after the break but Clarke restored the lead after 72 minutes when he headed in another Funnell corner.


Jenkins finished the game off in the final minute, netting from a precision pass from fellow sub Cian Tilley.


Hardwell shook things up with his first team selection with Marco Giambelardini one of two debutants.


Chairman Tony Shea said: “It was a massive result for us and we’re really pleased with the start.


“We’ve been promising this sort of result but not delivering.


“He got a response in his first game.”


Three players joined in Hardwell’s first week with Jack Hands and Jamie Carroll coming in from East Preston and Giambelardini from Bosham.


Shea expects more arrivals by tomorrow when Pagham host Horsham YMCA (3pm).


But he says Hardwell is also giving existing players a chance to impress.


Shea added: “He has told the whole squad everyone will be given a chance but it was not a big squad before he arrived.”


Shea also wished Chichester City good luck in their FA Cup clash at Tranmere.


He said: “We’ve been rivals for many years but it is a great achievement and all at Pagham wish them good luck.”


The Lions’ game against visitors Newhaven was postponed on Tuesday night, as was Selsey’s in division one against AFC Varndeanians.


Selsey did get their game on last Saturday, losing 3-2 at home to Roffey after battling back from 2-0 down.


Selsey trailed 1-0 at half-time to a disputed penalty and went 2-0 down just before the hour.


Their plight worsened when Joe Bennett was sent off for a second booking shortly after Ryan Morey had pulled a goal back on 65 minutes.


In-form striker Max Davies got Selsey level with an 83rd-minute spot-kick but Daren Pearce’s side conceded a 87th-minute winner.


Selsey go to Billingshurst tomorrow (3pm).


Bosham had last Saturday’s game at home to Angmering Village postponed and are at Jarvis Brrok tomorrow (2pm) in division two.

Posted in Sport.