News Posted in Sport.

Bognor Colts charge into Sussex Cup quarter-finals

Bognor Colts Academy progressed into the Sussex Cup quarter-finals with a 31-5 victory over hosts Uckfield Colts.


The visitors ran in five tries and added three conversions while Uckfield crossed the whitewash just once.


A strong squad started well with relentless line speed putting pressure on the host side and stopping them from playing.


Scrum half Alfie Spurle got his forwards moving and powering over the gainline. A typical strong run from the impressive No.8 Bradley Smith saw the Uckfield defence scrambling.


Ben Barker carried the ball on and it was moved wide expertly and slickly through their hands for Edward Gilbert Jones on the wing to score in the corner.


Fly half Elvis Millen was having one of his best games of the season, regularly making spot on decisions. A beautifully judged kick saw Owen Henton regain possession.


Hayes cut a strong line and the ball was moved to the rampaging Jamie Foote who dummied and scorched clear of the cover to score under the posts. Lewis Decarteret converted.


Bognor were playing smartly in attack but destructive in defence. No more so than Tyrone Masaki in the midfield, who regularly clattered into his opposite numbers.


Uckfield cleared and skipper Harrison Southerm ran the ball back. Charlie Weller smashed the ruck and the ball was moved to fullback Decarteret who sizzled down the line to score in the corner.


He then converted from out wide.


Uckfield looked dangerous ball in hand but second rows Nathan Thompson and Matthew Norrell ruled the defensive line around the ruck. Bognor led 19-0 at half-time.


The first score in the second half was always going to be important.


Bognor sent on the cavalry with the aim of putting the game out of sight.


After a disallowed try, George Orchard secured a tremendous turnover to set up the next try for winger Jacques.


The omnipresent Jack Trenham, Spurle, who put in a long miss pass, and Charlie Jays were all involved to set up the score, which Decarteret converted.


Uckfield had their moments and when their centre broke through a score looked on the cards until Ben Woolnough appeared from nowhere to take him down.


It galvanised Bognor and a purple patch saw them stretch the home defence with Owen Thomas and Josh Galea carrying impressively.


Andrew Fadera crashed over to score when Uckfield infringed and Bognor’s maul took them close to the Uckfield line.


Uckfield came back to score a well-deserved consolation try.


Bognor will play Haywards Heath in the quarter final on Sunday, February 9. Until then it is back to league action.


The Greens travel to Camberley while the Purples host Tadley at Hampshire Avenue (2pm KO).


Squad: Jack Trenham, Harrison Southern, Charlie Weller, Josh Galea, Nathan Thompson, Mathew Norrell, Owen Thomas, George Orchard, Jamie Foote, Ben Barker, Charlie Jays, Andrew Fadera, Bradley Smith, Alfie Spurle, Elvis Millen, Owen Henton, Freddie Hayes, Tyrone Masaki, Edward Gilbert-Jones, Jaques Robinson, Ben Woolnough, Lewis Decarteret.

Posted in Sport.