News Posted in News.

Steve walking to leave his cancer behind

Lotte Pegler
lotte.pegler@sussexpost.co.uk

 

A Felpham man is marching all over cancer to help his recovery from the condition.

 

Steve Smith, 55, knew he had a battle on his hands when he was diagnosed with bowel cancer.

 

But the Rolls-Royce Motor Cars worker now realises he has a bigger fight ahead of him – to try to help others who are struck down by cancer.

 

That’s why the father-of-two has set about raising funds and awareness for Cancer Research UK.

 

As part of the charity’s March for Cancer campaign, Steve is walking 10,000 steps a day throughout this month.

 

Part of his efforts saw him enlist a group of family and friends to boost the cause as they undertook a charity walk from Felpham to Aldwick on Sunday to help him raise almost £900 so far.

 

He said: “It was lovely to see so many friends join us and have some fun along the way, too.

 

“It was windy and blustery but the point is that we were lucky enough to be able to go on the walk.

 

“We should never lose sight of the fact that many people simply can’t do that if they are undergoing treatment.”

 

Steve was diagnosed with bowel cancer last Christmas Eve. “It was devastating news, of course,” he said.

 

“I knew I had to stay positive and, with the help of many and friends, I managed to do that.

 

“I had my operation in January, which went well, and I had the all-clear.

 

“So, now, I’m cancer-free. It’s a great cause and I’m using the 10,000 steps a day as part of my recovery process, so it’s very much a ‘win, win’ situation.”

 

Anyone who would like to back Steve’s fundraising should visit his online page: fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org

Posted in News.