News Posted in Sport.

Bognor hit East Preston for six

Bognor were comfortable 6-0 winners on Lashmar Road as they overcame former Rock Terry Dodd’s East Preston.


Three of the goals came in the first half before Rocks sealed the emphatic win with three more in the final five minutes after a rather uneventful second period.


A swift cross in the early going saw Bradley Lethbridge slice the ball well over the crossbar.


But it wasn’t long for Bognor went ahead.  Bognor took the lead after just four minutes after Lethbridge found James Crane and his low cross was converted by Ben Mendoza in the middle of the box.


The second arrived in the eighth minute when the goalkeeper committed himself and Lethbridge poked into an unguarded net.


Kieran Rowe put in a teasing cross which looked set to fall to Lethbridge but a defender got there first while Ashton Leigh got a cross in from the left but Crane steered a header wide.


Rowe ran through before scuffing a shot from the edge of the box over moments later.


Bognor made it three on 34 minutes.  A nice run down the left by Ashton Leigh saw him place a cross into the area and Alfie Lis was goal side before slotting in beyond the goalkeeper.


East Preston capitalised on a mistake at the back as Dodd was sent through immediately after but his low strike was parried away by Taylor Seymour.


Influential former loan defender Joe Cook, who signed for Rocks after the game, made a short run before striking from distance but his effort was always rising on 40 minutes.


Lis brought the ball down nicely for Tommy Leigh who struck a dipping effort at goal but this chance was confidently saved by Keelan Belcher as the half closed.


Calvin Davies replaced Keaton Wood at half- time and Tommy Leigh was moved to centre-back and Crane to left-back. Lethbridge was also replaced by Harvey Whyte.


As a precaution Rocks brought off Ben Mendoza for Will Stone on 51 minutes after the midfielder took a knock.


Rowe tried to play the ball over defence for Lis but the chance was closed down in an uneventful opening 35 minutes of the second half.


Morlan Day hit a direct free-kick wide of the right post in a rare chance for the hosts on 65 minutes.


Rowe threaded the ball in for Michael Baker and he forced the goalkeeper into a save on 71 minutes in a rare second-half attack.


Lis cut in from the left to force a save before he teed up Crane to also bring the keeper into action.


Great build up play saw Lis and Rowe thread the ball through to Stone, who rounded the goalkeeper to score into an empty net after 86 minutes.


Bognor made it five on 88 minutes when Lis’ piercing run saw him shoot low at the goalkeeper and tap home the rebound.


Stone’s half-volley concluded the scoring as the referee awarded the goal in stoppage time with the assistant’s flag raised.


Bognor: Seymour, Crane, A Leigh, Robb, Cook, Wood (Davies HT), Rowe, Mendoza (Stone 51), Lis, T Leigh (Baker 57), Lethbridge (Whyte HT).


Report by Liam Goodley

Picture: Tommy McMillan

Posted in Sport.